Welcome to WALKIE TALKIE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to WALKIE TALKIE

Just raise your voice

HomeWEBSITEREPORTPortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Sex differentiation in English

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
hannibal
Admin
hannibal

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2008-06-09

Sex differentiation in English Empty
PostSubject: Sex differentiation in English   Sex differentiation in English Icon_minitimeSat Jul 26, 2008 8:55 pm

I have recently had a chat with a friend who has been studying French for a while. It seems to me that sex differentiation of things in French is a nightmare for any non native speakers. I wonder if it also occurs in English and find myself surprised that it does exist.
When we talk about the Earth and the universe, we call them "mother/she/her" and "father/he/him", respectively.
A boat is usually regarded as womanlike thing. Following is an extract about Titanic from Wikipedia.
In her time, Titanic surpassed all rivals in luxury and opulence. She offered an on-board swimming pool, a gymnasium, a Turkish bath, libraries in both the first and second-class, and a squash court.[2] First-class common rooms were adorned with elaborate wood panelling, expensive furniture and other decorations.[3] In addition, the Café Parisien offered cuisine for the first-class passengers, with a sunlit veranda fitted with trellis decorations.[4]

The ship incorporated technologically advanced features for the period. She had an extensive electrical subsystem with steam-powered generators and ship-wide electrical wiring feeding electric lights. She also boasted two wireless Marconi sets, including a powerful 1,500-watt radio manned by operators who worked in shifts, allowing constant contact and the transmission of many passenger messages.[5]

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_Titanic

I decide to make it a topic here so that we can discuss and learn more this aspect of English. If you know and have more examples, please feel free to share with others.
Back to top Go down
xitun

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2008-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Sex differentiation in English   Sex differentiation in English Icon_minitimeSat Jul 26, 2008 9:35 pm

he he about French , Sex diiferentiation is not only a big problem to non-native speakers aslo to native speakers.
Actually, as i know there is sex differentiation in Eng , but not many.
Besides, what u told, we also call nature" she/her" and sometimes a car can be "female"
Back to top Go down
xitun

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2008-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Sex differentiation in English   Sex differentiation in English Icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2008 8:39 am

i've just known two more cases of sex differentiation.
1) when u wanna shake sb's hand, u say "put her there".In this case, "her" implies "hand".
2)When a women's pregnant but we haven't known the gender of the foetus, we can use "he/him" talking about that one
Back to top Go down
Heartofmine
Admin
Heartofmine

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Sex differentiation in English   Sex differentiation in English Icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2008 12:25 pm

Last night, I watched the movie "Event Horizon", which is the name of a spaceship. During the conversation among a group of crews, they use "her" whenever mentioning the Event Horizon. Then what came up to my mind is, perhaps native speakers consider anything which is beautiful, admirable (appearance) as female? Cool
Back to top Go down
http://walktalk.friendhood.net

Sex differentiation in English
Page 1 of 1