Welcome to WALKIE TALKIE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to WALKIE TALKIE

Just raise your voice

HomeWEBSITEREPORTPortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

A game with semi-palindromes

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
hannibal
Admin
hannibal

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2008-06-09

A game with semi-palindromes Empty
PostSubject: A game with semi-palindromes   A game with semi-palindromes Icon_minitimeSat Jul 12, 2008 8:11 am

I would love to share a game with you which is also one of my favorites. I usually play this when sitting on the bus. It is based on a group of words called palindromes. Basically they are anything that can be read the same backward and forward. Since finding true palindromes is very tricky, I make it simpler by loosing the rule and that comes an idea of semi-palindromes. They are not necessarily read the same in both directions but as long as the word read from each direction has a meaning in English, it is a semi-palindrome.
Also, do not mistake the palindromes with anagrams (the one used in The Da Vinci Code). Anagrams are sets of words that can be rearranged in any order to form other words. Palindromes and semi-palindromes on the other hand preserve the order of letters.
Based on that understanding, I would like to invite you to find some more words which at least satisfy the criterion of a semi-palindrome. I have a couple of examples here.

Net --> Ten
Won --> Now
Keep --> Peek

Now, let's play the game. I do not know much better than you do in this game.
Back to top Go down
Heartofmine
Admin
Heartofmine

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: A game with semi-palindromes   A game with semi-palindromes Icon_minitimeSat Jul 12, 2008 10:33 am

Let me try some, as it sounds interesting to me:
Time --> Emit
Top --> Pot
Trap --> Part
OMG, it's harder. Oops, I have one more:
Go --> Og (Oh God) Laughing Laughing I wonder if it's accepted.
Back to top Go down
http://walktalk.friendhood.net
hannibal
Admin
hannibal

PostSubject: Re: A game with semi-palindromes   A game with semi-palindromes Icon_minitimeSat Jul 12, 2008 1:41 pm

You do much better than me though. I am unsure about the last one since people usually say OMG rather than OG.
Just for abbreviations, I think I have some:
OK --> K.O (knocked out)
Ox --> XO (alcoholic drink)
Back to top Go down
Elevener
Admin
Elevener

Number of posts : 20

PostSubject: Re: A game with semi-palindromes   A game with semi-palindromes Icon_minitimeSat Jul 12, 2008 8:54 pm

Hi,I like to join as well
I found one. This is

TOMATO -------> TOMATO

There is a "tomato" principle story as well. I forget the story, I will share with you once found.
Back to top Go down
Elevener
Admin
Elevener

PostSubject: Re: A game with semi-palindromes   A game with semi-palindromes Icon_minitimeSat Jul 12, 2008 8:57 pm

sorry, there are more;

MOM ------> MOM
DAD ------> DAD
Back to top Go down
Elevener
Admin
Elevener

PostSubject: Re: A game with semi-palindromes   A game with semi-palindromes Icon_minitimeSat Jul 12, 2008 9:11 pm

next ;

DID -----> DID
EYE ----> EYE
REED -----> DEER
RAT ------> TAR
ON ------> NO
NOT ----> TON
MAY------> YAM
L.O.L (laugh out loud ) ---> LOL
Back to top Go down
hannibal
Admin
hannibal

PostSubject: Re: A game with semi-palindromes   A game with semi-palindromes Icon_minitimeSat Jul 12, 2008 10:38 pm

You are terrific Elevener. You not only find out some semi-palindromes but also the true palindromes. Words whose letters are symmetric usually have the palindromic property.
Back to top Go down
Heartofmine
Admin
Heartofmine

PostSubject: Re: A game with semi-palindromes   A game with semi-palindromes Icon_minitimeSat Jul 12, 2008 11:58 pm

This's the reason men must never look down on women. Elevener, you did a great job.
Alright, it's my turn,
DAP --> PAD
TAP --> PAT
NAP --> PAN
LAP --> PAL
TOT --> TOT (hard to find such a word like this)
TO --> OT
EEL --> LEE
YOB --> BOY
DAM --> MAD
Quite a headache .....
Back to top Go down
Elevener
Admin
Elevener

PostSubject: Re: A game with semi-palindromes   A game with semi-palindromes Icon_minitimeSun Jul 13, 2008 7:27 pm

Hi, thank you 2 guys. This game is interesting because we can play with vocabulary and practive our brains, hehehe. I suggest we should find more small games like this for our members each month, not too complicated but using vocabulabry.

To Heart, some of your words about are like Vietnamese. Can you please explain the meanings?

Today, I found 2 more;

POP ----> POP
DEED ----> DEED .

Maybe majority of my findings are palindromes.
Back to top Go down
Elevener
Admin
Elevener

PostSubject: Re: A game with semi-palindromes   A game with semi-palindromes Icon_minitimeSun Jul 13, 2008 7:43 pm

Hi Heart,

Sorry, I found the meaning of your words. That's interting because I don't think its existence before.
Back to top Go down
Poinsettia

Poinsettia

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2008-06-08

PostSubject: Re: A game with semi-palindromes   A game with semi-palindromes Icon_minitimeSun Jul 13, 2008 11:27 pm

Is the game for the admins only?

Let me join ok?

tool- loot
yap- pay
radar- radar
era- are
ewe- ewe
wen- new

Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.foxconn.com
hannibal
Admin
hannibal

PostSubject: Re: A game with semi-palindromes   A game with semi-palindromes Icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2008 6:51 pm

This game is for everyone. It's awkward if only Heart, Elevener and I are playing.
so well done poinsettia. Your word radar is currently the longest answer we have. Elevener has Tomato which does not strictly follow the rule, however, it is another good example.
Probably words of two, three and four letters are quite easy to find. Besides, some words are symmetry which is a particular characteristic of English. I am not sure we can find it in other languages.
Here are some other words:
Leek --> keel
Dog --> God
Saw --> was
Nun --> nun
Pip --> pip
Gig --> gig
Don -- nod
May --> yam
Lion --> noil
Back to top Go down
Poinsettia

Poinsettia

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2008-06-08

PostSubject: Re: A game with semi-palindromes   A game with semi-palindromes Icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2008 9:51 pm

What a winning combination of study and entertainment!!
I become more and more indulged in this game Surprised

rennet- tenner
dab- bad
dag- gad
sib- bis
ere- ere
ergo- ogre
kook- kook
liar- rail
Back to top Go down
http://www.foxconn.com
Heartofmine
Admin
Heartofmine

PostSubject: Re: A game with semi-palindromes   A game with semi-palindromes Icon_minitimeSat Jul 19, 2008 1:09 am

I almost run out of words. Oh, by the way, I wonder symbols are accepted? If they are, mine seems to be the longest & the most powerful "word" cyclops
Let me give an example:
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ <--> $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
bounce Hannibal, hope you won't deny it lol!
Back to top Go down
hannibal
Admin
hannibal

PostSubject: Re: A game with semi-palindromes   A game with semi-palindromes Icon_minitimeSun Jul 20, 2008 7:53 am

Nope, I am afraid yours is not acceptable. However, it is still a nice try. If you happen to see any symbol anywhere, just post them here. I was impressed by the symmetric words when I read Angels and Demons. I wonder if there are any other in real life.
Back to top Go down
hannibal
Admin
hannibal

PostSubject: Re: A game with semi-palindromes   A game with semi-palindromes Icon_minitimeSun Jul 20, 2008 8:39 am

There are a few more but I would like to ask for other members to take part in this game.
War --> Raw
Did --> did
Back to top Go down
fanronaldo86

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2008-06-14

PostSubject: Re: A game with semi-palindromes   A game with semi-palindromes Icon_minitimeMon Jul 21, 2008 9:46 pm

Let my try some

WOW WOW
FOE EOF (end of file)
TNT TNT (kind of explosive)
TIDE (kind of detergent) EDIT
OMO OMO (kind of detergent)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A game with semi-palindromes   A game with semi-palindromes Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A game with semi-palindromes
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to WALKIE TALKIE :: Entertainment :: Further discussion-
Jump to: